Sunday 26 September 2010

I will not ask you


I will not ask you

I cannot ask you to feel pain for me.
I cannot beg that you ache,
or demand that in the silence,
you burn and break.
I cannot tease that time from you,
or stir your gut like a simmering stew,
nor force you like a rusty screw,
to turn your heart inside out,
with all the fear of loss and doubt.
I will not do that to you
I will not make a martyr of a lover
or ask you to watch as I walk
or wait while I talk, with another.

When all the wasted time is totalled,
and those moments in which you came,
and went again, are remembered,
it will be the bleeding of time,
the ebb of carelessness,
that finally, washed the sands away.
The lost minutes, seconds
hours of avoidance, the silence,
that spoke loudest of all.

So I will not beg, nor wallow
or ask you to sit in this eternal sorrow.
I will not ask you to join me there,
I cannot, you see,
because I've loved you,
and I care.

© Richard Michael Parker 2010


Artwork by JoyusLion

2 comments:

RMP said...

I would like to thank Joyuslion for this beautiful Artistic collaboration, her stunning artwork is an inspiration and brings to light the inner truth of the poem. Thank You Joy!

You can see more of Joyuslion's beautiful artwork on her own site http://www.joyuslion.com/, and i would highly recommend you take the time to visit the page.

I would ask that you respect the copyright of the artist, and not reproduce or copy this work in any form without the prior consent of the artist, thank you.

joyuslion said...

It look fabulous with your poem Richard! Two beauties side by side each making the other complete! :-)